On October 30, 1831, six years before Michigan was admitted as a state and South Lyon was known as “The Corners”, fifteen families met in the home of Robert Purdy to organize a Presbyterian Society. Under the leadership of Rev. E. Prince of Plymouth, Michigan, the church was organized. Services were temporarily held in the cabin of Mrs. Thomas Dunlap just east of South Lyon.
A large schoolhouse was built on this farm in 1833. It also served as a place of worship for the Presbyterians and the Methodists on alternate Sundays. In 1859, the congregation built a frame church on what is now the corner of Ten Mile and Martindale roads. This building was sold to the Catholic Church in 1882 and relocated to the Father Foley farm (just east of Milford Road) when the Catholics built a church in South Lyon.
In 1882 the first brick church was built at the present location. The Romanesque Revival church consists of a main sanctuary and bell tower, built by William Greig in 1883 at a cost of $5,000. The two-story chapel and fellowship hall were constructed in 1899. The bell, dated 1885, and the stained glass window in the main facade added in 1899, were donated by the Young People’s Christian Association, later known as the Christian Endeavor Society. In 1950 the basement and heating plant were enlarged and stairways and restrooms added. In 1966 the Christian Education unit was added.
In 1995, the church was registered as an historical site, and our historical marker was put in place. Since then we have done restoration work on our sanctuary and created an addition on the north side, which includes an elevator and parlor. In 2005 we were blessed to receive the generous gift of a new Allen Renaissance Quantum Q325 digital organ.
The Presbyterian influence has been an important part of the community for more than 180 years. Working together in God’s service with other Christian churches, a solid foundation has been established in South Lyon, Michigan.